Monday, August 30, 2010

#99 2/12 Completed {Make 12 new recipes}

Here is what I made last night. I will admit that I didn't follow the recipe 100%. After searching 4 stores, I could not find adobo so I researched online what it was and I tried to make it on my own. I also added some of the wet adobo sauce that is found in the chiles that I used. After all of that, the recipe was too spicy for Kayla, so I added plain yogurt to bring the heat down (it worked and didn't really change the taste!).

I may try this recipe again if I can find the adobo, but if I don't make it again, I won't care either.

Here is where I got the recipe from:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/mexican-slow-cooked-pork-carnitas.html


Mexican Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas


Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 4 oz (1/2 cup) Points: 4 pts
Calories: 176 • Fat: 7.7g Protein: 25.8 g Carb: 1.3 g Fiber: 0.1 g
  • 2.5 lb pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed (I used Smithfield)
  • 6 cloves garlic, cut into sliver
  • cumin
  • adobo
  • garlic powder
  • 3/4 cup 99% fat free chicken broth
  • 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (to taste)
  • 2 bay leaves
Season pork with salt and pepper. In a medium sauté pan on medium-high heat, brown pork on all sides for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Using a sharp knife, insert blade into pork, cutting small holes and insert garlic slivers. Season pork generously with cumin, adobo and garlic powder all over.

Pour chicken broth in the crockpot, add bay leaves and chipotle peppers. Place pork in crock pot and cover. Cook low for 8 hours. After 8 hours, shred pork using two forks and combine well with the juices that accumalated at the bottom. Remove bay leaves and adjust salt and cumin (you will probably need to add more). Let it cook another 15-30 minutes.

The ingredients:


IMG_3317


Preparing to brown the pork:


IMG_3318


Browning the pork:


IMG_3319


Sliced garlic:


IMG_3321


Putting the garlic in the pork:


IMG_3322


Seasoned and ready to cook:


IMG_3324


8 hours late:


IMG_3359


Shredded:


IMG_3365


Ready to eat:


IMG_3373

1 comment:

  1. I really want to try this one. I love carnitas.

    ReplyDelete